Home » Vintage Machinery » Classic Cars

Pre-War Military Vehicles in India

Chat about classic cars, steam engines, past & incoming car rallies etc.

Pre-War Military Vehicles in India

Postby JohnHale » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Hello,

A few years ago I was given photos of a funeral cortege in Pune. It was with military honors, the coffin was placed on a gun carriage towed by a military truck. This was my friend’s grandfather, an army doctor who died in 1942. That photo, a copy of which he gave me, was the first of several military vehicle photos in India in my collection. And then the collection grew. There is the usual array of tanks, trucks, and cars, most of them have the arrow symbol on the number plate, and the oldest such photos were taken before 1920’s. Most photos come from albums of Britishers, their families cleaning out their attics and hence their legacies. Many photos have details written behind them. There are few military photos of Americans too, mostly in Calcutta, some in Karachi. But most are Britishers and the photos are taken in the north west mountainous regions. Many passes are named, and there are many strange looking armored cars. The army had cantonments all over India, Bangalore, Poona, Aurangabad, some photos are from these places as well. E-Bay is a major source. Many times collections are split, depending on the winning bid, so if someone out there has bagged photos which I missed, and the other way round, they can contact me and I would exchange copies, meaning get copies printed and give in exchange.

For more information you can visit here:
Animated Videos for Business

Thanks
JohnHale

PPG Member: No

Return to Classic Cars